THICKER THAN WATER

Wife, I suppose.

Maybe.

Rude to ask, you think?



It was a last minute invitation and I never quite learned the fine art of saying ‘no’. So there I was, a guest list afterthought, a very real albeit underwhelming presence, not unusual at all. A dinner party was the noble intention- more of a forced social congress between less colleagues, more strangers- and I was in my element, acing the part of a wallflower. 


In the midst of all the drunk cacophonies, I thought I heard your voice. One too familiar with an air of arrogance I once loved but came to resent over the years. Some said that you’re a changed man now, the years had taught you good, so did the new lady. As much as I ached to believe that, to run into your arms and rewrite the past, you were never what I deserved. Fare thee well, father. 

Comments

Popular Posts